Delta-8 THC is one of the most recent cannabinoid products recently making waves on the market. If you are wondering how long does delta 8 stay in your system, check out our article to find out everything you would need to know.
Despite being less strong than those of delta-9, the effects of delta-8 might linger in your body for a while. If you want to try delta 8 but are worried about getting caught on a drug test, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we will answer all of your questions about how long delta 8 THC stays in your system, detection time, metabolism, and whether or not it will appear on a drug test. We will also provide tips on how to get around failing a drug test even if you are using products containing Delta 8 THC.
Delta 8: What is it
Among the hundreds of different cannabinoids present in the Cannabis sativa plant, Delta-8 Tetrahydrocannabinol, also referred to as Delta-8 THC, is a minor cannabinoid produced naturally by the cannabis plant. Some of these are presumably familiar to you: THC, CBD, CBG, CBN, and so on.
The advantages and disadvantages of delta 8 are comparable to those of delta-9, albeit to a lesser extent. ∆8-THC has psychoactive or euphoric effects and can make you experience “high” as marijuana’s most common THC does.
Related: What is Delta 8 THC?
How long does Delta 8 stay in your system?
The presence of delta-8 THC in your system will show up on a drug test for no more than 10 days, regardless of how you consumed it. When you ingest cannabinoids, your body first breaks them down before releasing them into the bloodstream and storing them in fat cells.
It is further broken down into THC metabolites by the liver. Therefore, compared to other substances, THC metabolites persist in the body longer and can be detected for a lengthy period of time.
In 5 days or less, the majority of THC is released from the system via excretion, according to a study. Before the entire elimination, the 10–20 percent that is currently present might last for up to five more days.
Since THC takes between 5-10 days to become detectable in your system after consumption, you should plan accordingly.
Simply put, delta 8 THC will persist in your body for about 2 days if you’ve only took it once or twice. Contrarily, it could require as much as 4 weeks for your system to become THC-free if you ingest delta-8 more and more often or in high dosages.
Half-Life of Delta-8 THC
Have questions regarding delta 8 half life? The metabolism of delta-8 THC occurs in two stages: the initial fast phase and the succeeding slow phase. When delta-8 THC is ingested at the fast stage, a portion of it is promptly removed from the body. Following it, the metabolic rate dramatically decreases during the slow stage.
In the slower period, It takes about 32 minutes for delta-8 to reach half-life. Up till there is any remaining delta-8 THC in your system, the process is repeated.
Factors that Influences the duration of Delta 8 THC’s effect
You must cleanse your body in order to test negative for THC in a specific drug screening.
Let’s quickly go over the factors that contribute to how long delta-8 THC lasts before giving a brief explanation of each one.
- How often you use — Do you think of yourself as a regular user? If the response is yes, abstain from it for thirty to sixty days prior to the test. If not, you’ll probably test positive.
- Your body weight — This is one more factor that influences how long THC persists in your system. When you ingest cannabinoids, your body first breaks them down before releasing them into the bloodstream and storing them in fat cells.
- Age of the individual — People who are younger can metabolize substances more quickly than those who are older.
- Your metabolism — Different individuals digest food at different rates.
- The dosage you ingested — The higher the dosage, the more time it requires to leave your body.
- Other supplements or medications — Several medications can cause delta 8 to be broken down and excreted more slowly.
However, a number of additional factors could affect how long delta 8 THC remains in your body. Let us go over each one with you in more detail.
The Potency of Delta-8 Product
The potency of the product will determine how long delta 8 THC will stay in your system. To put it another way, a substance with a higher strength will remain in your body lengthier than one with a lower strength.
So where can you learn more about a delta-8 product’s strength? Delta-8 product’s label will provide this details, and you may check the certification of analysis (COA) for that specific item on the company’s webpage.
The kind of drug test you might experience is another thing to consider. Perhaps you have question on your mind: does delta-8 stay in your system longer than delta-9? Despite having the identical chemical formula, the molecular structures of delta-8 and delta-9 differ. Similar to ∆9, ∆8-THC will also dissolve over time and it will break down into comparable metabolites. It will remain in your system for a similar period of time to delta-9.
Drug screening typically cannot tell the difference between the two. This means that if you regularly use any delta 8 product, you could come back positive for THC.
Method of Consumption
The amount of time delta 8 remains in your body depends on how you take it. For instance, if you inhale, you will start to feel the THC effects after just a few minutes, and they will gradually wear off after around five to six hours.
Oral ingestion, on the other hand, can result in effects that may not become apparent for up to two hours after consumption and linger for up to six hours.
|Product Types for Delta-8 THC||Edible Products||Inhaled Products|
|Effect’s Peak (following consumption)||60-120 Min||20-60 Min|
|Onset Time||15-90 Min||5-6 Min|
|Total Effects Duration||3-6 Hours||3-6 Hours|
How Often Do You Use It?
According to specialists, less regular users should expect delta-8 to remain in their bodies for a shorter period of time. As a result, how frequently you ingest delta-8 affects how long does delta-8 stay in your blood. The more delta-8 THC you consume, the more challenging it is to get rid of from your system.
Nowadays, many companies mandate that all workers submit to regularly scheduled drug tests. Not every tests can detect the presence of THC in your body one month before the last intake. Therefore, it is best to tread carefully and refrain from taking delta-8 at one month prior to your test.
However, if you regularly consume delta-8, you might need to wait at least 30 days for it to stop showing up in your blood, urine, or saliva.
Related: You can use a CBD Oil Dosage Calculator to figure out your exact dose.
How to Pass a Delta-8 THC Drug Test: Guidelines
Become familiar with different types of drug tests
You might be pondering does delta 8 show up on a drug test? Let’s take a look at several drug tests and how long delta-8 can be detected in them for possible appearances:
- Hair test – A hair test is perhaps one of the most precise procedures for determining whether or not someone’s system contains THC. But this can be sometimes inaccurate. A hair follicle test can find THC that was ingested in any way more than 3 months preceding the test.
- Blood test – Most of the time, a blood test can identify THC in your system for at least 2 days after your last intake. For those who use THC frequently, this test can detect its presence for up to 25 days.
- Saliva test – A saliva test can solely identify THC ingested within the previous 24 hours. Even if this approach is well-liked, it is understandable why this method isn’t the most reliable.
- Urine test – Urine test can identify THC in your body up to 48 days after the day of your last consumption, making it extremely accurate and dependable.
The timeline over which THC can be detected using some standard drug tests is shown in the following table.
|Types of Common Drug Tests||Detectable Span of Time (probable)|
|Urine Test||from 3 hours upto 48 days|
|Blood Test||from 3 hours upto 25 days|
|Hair Test||upto 90 days|
|Saliva Test||upto 24 hours|
Knowing how long delta-8 will remain detectable in your system for traditional drug tests will make it easier to cope for one. These time frames, however, are only approximations.
Ways to remove Delta 8 from your system
You must eradicate the psychoactive THC metabolites from your body in order to pass a drug test. Following are handy recommendations for quickly eliminating the delta-8 from your bloodstream:
- Stay Clear of THC related products: The best practice is to stay clear of any THC-related products for 14 days preceding a drug test to get rid of the delta-8 THC metabolites in your body. The simplest way to make certain that you are always completely prepared for any kind of drug test is to maintain your sobriety.
- Drink Lots of Water: One simple way to detoxify yourself from THC is to stay hydrated. Therefore, you’ll urinate quite often and quickly remove delta-8 THC metabolites from your body.
- Using Detox Product: There are many detox choices on the marketplace that promise to help you pass a drug test. Some are more effective than others, but proceed with caution since not all of them are trustworthy. Before purchasing and consuming any detox items, do extensive research as they may not always function as promised.
- A Balanced Diet: Eat healthy foods and stick to a dietary pattern. Keep a balanced, healthful eating regimen that includes ample fiber- and protein-rich meals.
- Engage in Physical Exercise: Exercise regularly each day will help you raise your metabolism rate.
Hopefully, knowing this can help you relax when consuming delta-8 THC. In addition, consult your doctor if you experience any negative side effects.
Delta 8 THC & Drug Test Related FAQs
Is it legal to use Delta-8 THC?
Since the 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp production and hemp-derived goods in place of marijuana at the federal level, manufacturers have taken advantage of this legislative gap to produce and market delta eight products across the United States. Delta-8 is permitted in 30 states, but it is prohibited in others.
Can a urine test reveal the presence of delta-8?
The short answer is YES, delta-8 can be detected through a urine test as the compound shares many properties with delta-9, which is what the conventional THC drug test are looking for.
Can delta 8 make you fail a drug test?
Another frequent query from many ∆8 consumers is whether the substance will cause them to fail a drug test. Yes, it can contribute to a positive THC test result, especially if you are a habitual user.
In summary, we learned how long does delta-8 stay in your system, how the timeframe of delta-8 THC’s effect changes depending on a variety of factors, what you should and shouldn’t do before taking a drug test, and a few strategies to lower THC levels in your body.
And most of all, remember that delta 8 drug test or a standard drug test cannot differentiate between a delta-9 and delta-8. THC may be detected in delta-8 during drug screening. Therefore, it’s recommended to stay away from using delta-8 products altogether if you want to pass a drug test.
Last but not least, you need to steer clear of the risks associated with consuming delta-8 and make use of the other naturally occurring plant-based cannabinoids such as CBD.
You may explore a variety of Full-Spectrum CBD products we have available in our online CBD Shop. Curious to find out more about some additional popular cannabinoids? You can browse the blog page of MEDOSI at all times. We always want to give you accurate information that you can use.